All Pink Floyd Fan Network   Pink Floyd RSS feed  
Search All Pink Floyd Fan Network

Home Forums Lyrics Discography Tablatures
Go Back   All Pink Floyd Fan Network » Pink Floyd Forums » Pink Floyd Forums » General Pink Floyd Chat

Floyd LOVE Songs???

General Pink Floyd Chat

View Poll Results: What do YOU think is the closest any Floyd member came to writing a Love song?
Bike 11 22.45%
Stay 8 16.33%
Green is the Colour 4 8.16%
Summer '68 6 12.24%
Julia Dream 3 6.12%
5:11 AM The Moment Of Clarity (Waters' Pros & Cons) 1 2.04%
Watching TV (Waters' ATD) 0 0%
See-Saw 0 0%
Mother 3 6.12%
Other (please specify on a post) 22 44.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Still Figuring it All Out

Exclamation Floyd LOVE Songs???

What do you think is the closest Pink Floyd ever came to writing a love song??

I'm not sure about ANY of the songs I posted, it's just that they are the ones I think have references to love in them:

Bike has childish love, kind of like the first crush, and not teenage crush, even deeper childhood affection:
"You're the kind f girl that fits in with my world, I'll Give you anything, everything, if you want things"

Mother is a kind of motherly love. I know it came out of Rogers concept and yadayada.... But taken as a song, I think it's a clear example of motherly love, even if it's not the best example of it; The mother does think some weird things.

See-Saw I think is a beautiful song about brotherly love to one's sister. Summer 68 is another Wright song that I think deals with some kind of deep affection.

The Waters songs are different. Moment of clarity is very clear (no pun intended) as to the pressence of some kind of love. And Watching Tv.... I know it's about the massacre at Tianamen Square, it's just that a lot friends have heard it and think of it as a kind of love song, even though people who really know what it's about, know it's about Waters watching the massacre on TV, actually it goes deeper than that, maybe some other time. Even so, I can't bring myself to tell them what it's about, I found it miraculous they sensed "love" in the lyrics of an ATD song, I just couldn't tell them the truth.

Actually, I don't think Floyd ever wrote a clear love song, lots of them have references, but I'm glad they wrote about things that nobody wrote, and glad they sticked to concepts and moods in their albums. Really shows integrity.

Well, I thought it might be interesting to see what you thought.

See ya, green is the colour of her kind!

Last edited by bertin_brando; 05-15-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:06 PM
Darth Yannis

"Stay, and help me to end the day..." I think it's a beautiful song. If there's a Pink Floyd love song, it's Stay. The sweet sound of the piano and the guitar... Even if it's a strange kind of love ("...and trying to remember your name") it's nevertheless love.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:42 PM
A Hope That Never Fades

I'd say that's a tie between "Bike" and "Stay".

I can't explain what's going on in "Stay". It's a one-night stand...yet I almost have the feeling that there's a yearning for something more, except his "character" doesn't know how to find it. So he wants to make it as good an experience as possible for them both...but he's kind of confused.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:45 PM
A Great Day For Freedom...

Thats one of the things I love bout floyd, that they dont go on bout love. Thats pretty much all u get in todays music.

I suppose its easy to write bout a made up love because so many ppl dont mean it when they say they love someone nowadays. The chance of having a divorce is increasing. Just look at jerry spriner, it seems that no one can be in a relationship without hurting the other so much.

Love songs in the past really sound like they come from the heart and want to show ppl how they feel. But now theyre thin, and are usually only there to make money.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Darth Yannis

I think this thread should mention Blue Room In Venice from Rick Wright's Broken China. It's a touching piece about being in love with a suffering person.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Negative Two Is Company

I can't believe you folks neglected the most obvious answers to this poll. On the Meddle album, there are two songs MORE lovey than almost any of the ones you put on the poll (and possibly all of them). A Pillow of Winds ("Sleepy time in my life with my love by my side and she's breathing low") and San Tropez ("And if you're alone I'll come ho-ho-home").
I admit San Tropez isn't quite so much so, but A Pillow of Winds, c'mon, you can't be more obvious.
And also, something even MORE obvious and much harder to neglect is the one song everyone knows is a love song, Pigs on the Wing (both parts). I mean, there is no other song by Pink Floyd more about love than this is.
How can you forget them?
WHY GOD WHYY WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

WHYYY!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Odessey and Oracle
Former APFFN moderator

I voted for Green is the Colour. It is a simple song, not only about love but also some kind of jeolousy ("Envy is the bond between the hopeful and the dying.") and corruption ("Sunshine on ther eyes, but moonshine made her blind every time.").
Old 05-15-2002, 03:53 PM
APFFanatic!
APFFN Contributing Member

Isn't this another dead thread reincarnated?

Anyway, WYWH is a love song of sorts, but of course the one that no one, except the chicken bristol lady, mentioned is Pings On The Wing, especially part 2.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:31 PM
jealous guy

yeah i was sure pigs on the wing would be on the poll and not have to be an "other" vote. but i voted for bike cause its my favorite of all the rest on the poll. its a bit of a childish kind of love song but at the same time is something i can relate to.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:59 PM
A Hope That Never Fades

Quote:
Originally posted by mad yannis
I think this thread should mention Blue Room In Venice from Rick Wright's Broken China. It's a touching piece about being in love with a suffering person.
Really the whole album expresses his love for her, in my opinion. That's a very good example, but you can certainly hear it in more songs than that.

"I hear the love, I fear the love...
But her heart is so low!"

And I think some of the stuff on Wet Dream deals directly with love. I think "Against the Odds" is about a dying relationship, and "Summer Elegy" may also be. (But that last one could also be about the impending breakup of the Floyd; I can't tell.)
Old 05-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Darth Yannis

True. But IMO Blue Room In Venice is the one which is closest to a love song in both albums.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Negative Two Is Company

Quote:
Originally posted by Not Now John
Anyway, WYWH is a love song of sorts, but of course the one that no one, except the chicken bristol lady, mentioned is Pings On The Wing, especially part 2.
Thank you for insulting my dignity. Now I feel like a woman... Maybe I should go buy clothes and wear make up now? (No offense to all the real women out there I just alienated).
Anyways, while I was outside doing manly things like mowing the lawn and checking the oil in my car (and yes I actually did both of those things), I realized another good song (IMHO) that is sort of like a love song.
If
It's not really a complete love song, but it has some elements of it. It's mainly about friendship, but, it's not what the writer meant, it's how it was interpreted.

Last edited by ViciousChickenOfBristol; 05-15-2002 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:42 PM
A Hope That Never Fades

Quote:
Originally posted by mad yannis
True. But IMO Blue Room In Venice is the one which is closest to a love song in both albums.
Possible. Although I think you could argue for "Far from the Harbour Wall" and "Along the Shoreline", both. The first seems to be him practically crying out to her to know why their relationship seems to be dying; he doesn't understand the depression...and I think he believes that he himself has done that to her.

And the second...that's a true celebration of the enduring power of love to triumph over even the worst of things.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:40 PM
User banned from APFFN

Young Lust!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Yup, it's Jarv!

Location: Ensconced in a castle in the mountains adjacent to the Emilian plain...
Floyd LOVE songs???

I always thought Gilmour's "So Far Away" was a lovely, melancholy sort of Love song (you didn't say it had to be a "happy-happy-joy-joy" type song, obviously).

And heaven knows, most of us in long-term relationships can identify with the sentiments throughout... that feeling of longing but not being quite sure that you're the right person for your partner, the desperation for something to take that fear away (in this case, the freedom from his worries that sleep will provide), and so on.

Just my two-bits' worth, there...

GeeDub#1