All Pink Floyd Fan Network   Pink Floyd RSS feed  
Search All Pink Floyd Fan Network

Home Forums Lyrics Discography Tablatures
Go Back   All Pink Floyd Fan Network » Pink Floyd Forums » Pink Floyd Forums » 1977 to 1983 - "Waters Domination"


Movie within "The Wall" movie

1977 to 1983 - "Waters Domination"

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Empty Spacer's Avatar
...we came in?
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA
Posts: 2
Question Movie within "The Wall" movie

Does anybody know the name of the movie (or movies) that "Pink" is watching throughout The Wall? I know one has Deborah Kerr and Stewart (or Farley) Grainger. He was also in "North To Alaska" with John Wayne and an absolutely gorgeous french girl named, I think, Cappucine.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Evil_Tyrant528's Avatar
Goodbye Blue Sky...
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Don't ask.
Posts: 46
The movie is called The Dambusters. Oddly enough, the American version is different from the British version, they had to change the name of the dog from Nigger, to Trigger for the US Release of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2002, 05:35 AM
Empty Spacer's Avatar
...we came in?
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA
Posts: 2
Thanks

Thanks... er, "Evil Tyrant" sounds so formal. How 'bout I just call you
" 'rant " ?
Would that be a prob?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2002, 11:37 PM
Evil_Tyrant528's Avatar
Goodbye Blue Sky...
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Don't ask.
Posts: 46
Tyrant will work fine, if you like
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2005, 04:17 AM
OBSCUREDbyCOWS's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 938
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Tyrant528
The movie is called The Dambusters. Oddly enough, the American version is different from the British version, they had to change the name of the dog from Nigger, to Trigger for the US Release of it.
Thats typical of a US version war film
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 AM
wishyouwereher's Avatar
Learning to Fly...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 21
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSCUREDbyCOWS
Thats typical of a US version war film
would you have released a movie with a racial slur as the name of a dog?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
OBSCUREDbyCOWS's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 938
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishyouwereher
would you have released a movie with a racial slur as the name of a dog?
in this case yes as that was what the actual dog was called. The dog plays as small a part as possible in the film and always recieves affection from everybody, so wheres the racism?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Not Now John's Avatar
APFFanatic!
APFFN Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 7,163
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

What if the daog's name was "Slant-eye"?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Madcap Diamond's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 682
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

What if it were named Spot? ....like thousands of other dogs. It never occured to anybody that it was derogatory to the dog. OR, maybe we're being a little over-sensitive here. Has the liberal media gotten to dog names too?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Botley's Avatar
Hit it, Rog!
APFFN Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: an ancient amphitheatre
Posts: 6,612
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

I once had a cat named Fuckchop.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 PM
OBSCUREDbyCOWS's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 938
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Now John
What if the daog's name was "Slant-eye"?
If it was the same situation then there is no difference. I think all this PC crap is getting pretty stupid now, I mean I would in no way endorse racism but at the same time there has to be some common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Not Now John's Avatar
APFFanatic!
APFFN Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 7,163
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

I think it was changed because the word "nigger" has a negative connotation over here--I don't know if it does over there. I don't believe that was being PC--though if I were in charge, I am not sure that I would have changed it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2005, 04:09 AM
OBSCUREDbyCOWS's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 938
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Now John
I think it was changed because the word "nigger" has a negative connotation over here--I don't know if it does over there. I don't believe that was being PC--though if I were in charge, I am not sure that I would have changed it.
Nigger is a racist term here as well if a non-black man calls a black man it.
black man calls a black man a nigger and its a term of endearment, respect or whatever but not racist.
In the case of the dambusters its applied to a dog named nigger, probably because it had black fur. Nobody is calling a black man a nigger, so there is no direct racial abuse, therefore it has to be a PC thing. Something along the lines of we can't have a dog called nigger because somebody will take offence and we will get sued, regardless of the fact that the actual dog was called nigger and IMO its highly unlikely there will be a signinficant number of people offended.
I realise that statement leaves me open for the arguement whats a significant figure and nobody should have to be caused offence when its avoidable but then IMO thats the stupid thing about Political Correctness.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 AM
wishyouwereher's Avatar
Learning to Fly...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 21
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSCUREDbyCOWS
Nigger is a racist term here as well if a non-black man calls a black man it.
black man calls a black man a nigger and its a term of endearment, respect or whatever but not racist.
In the case of the dambusters its applied to a dog named nigger, probably because it had black fur. Nobody is calling a black man a nigger, so there is no direct racial abuse, therefore it has to be a PC thing. Something along the lines of we can't have a dog called nigger because somebody will take offence and we will get sued, regardless of the fact that the actual dog was called nigger and IMO its highly unlikely there will be a signinficant number of people offended.
I realise that statement leaves me open for the arguement whats a significant figure and nobody should have to be caused offence when its avoidable but then IMO thats the stupid thing about Political Correctness.
every black person in north america wouldve been offended and a huge stink wouldve arose.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2005, 03:00 AM
OBSCUREDbyCOWS's Avatar
What Shall We Do Now?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 938
Re: Movie within "The Wall" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishyouwereher
every black person in north america wouldve been offended and a huge stink wouldve arose.
I really can't see why they should be in this case. Its called nigger because its a black dog. The only possible reason I can see for being offended is if the name was meant to mean that all black people are dogs and there is in no way whatsoever any indication that that was the case. It just seems silly that people could be so offended by such a small thing. I agree if the film was not factual then calling a dog nigger could be offensive but that was its name 60 years ago so why does it have to change now?

If anybody here is black and would like to add their point of view to this then I would welcome your opinion as perhaps you would be able to explain to me why it is such a big deal.

Last edited by OBSCUREDbyCOWS; 05-25-2005 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools


Similar Threads for Movie within "The Wall" movie
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best song on "The Wall" Wonderwall 1977 to 1983 - "Waters Domination" 145 01-16-2014 10:17 PM
Need Info on "The Wall" Session Musicians Jawbone 1977 to 1983 - "Waters Domination" 22 11-24-2005 01:52 PM
Whats your theories on true meaning behind "the Wall"? jay33 Just babbling... 3 03-08-2005 03:08 AM
Publish the movie of the live-performance of "The Wall hokafloyd Rumour Mill & Information 10 01-28-2004 06:00 PM
Help us design a new logo for the "The Wall" theme The Piper Pink Floyd News 64 06-22-2002 04:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO © 2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©1995 - 2013, All Pink Floyd Fan Network.