All Pink Floyd Fan Network   Pink Floyd RSS feed  
Search All Pink Floyd Fan Network

Home Forums Lyrics Discography Tablatures
Go Back   All Pink Floyd Fan Network » Pink Floyd Forums » General Discussion » Jam Room

What kind of lap steel and tuning?

Jam Room

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2003, 06:18 PM
...we came in?

What kind of lap steel and tuning?

What kind of lap steel guitar is DG playing on slide.Is it an 8string or 6 string and,what has he got it tuned to?Help me Please!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Dont Damn ME !

r u talkin bout the one dave used in high hopes ? oh if its so.. then its hawain guitar.. i guess it too use std tunin.

Last edited by ninad; 04-02-2003 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
FreshPrince of Bill Ayers
APFFN Contributing Member

Dave plays Jensen lap steels & they are 6 -string. They're fitted with EMG pickups & use "open tunings", of course. The first lap steel is tuned to EBEGBE (E minor) for "One of These Days" and "High Hopes," while the second one is tuned to DGDGBE for "Great Gig in the Sky." Gilmour has said this tuning allows him to form a minor chord on the three strings and a major chord with all the other strings. i.e., he can play either DGDGB which is G major (open) and obviously other major chords up the neck, or GBE which is E minor(open) etc. etc. Clever boy, our Dave.

Last edited by stratman; 04-02-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:08 PM
...we came in?

thanks for the info

your the man I've been looking for!
makes sense to me.You can play a lot of stuff in open G(Keith Richards knows this)and of cause E is the relative minor of G.
Played together I believe(G/Em) it comes out as G6th.E being the 6th note of the G scale.At lest ,that is what I remember in music class.Correct me if I'm full of air.
Thanks again!!

ps I've got two lap steels(6 and 8 string).I'm tuning the 6 string to DG's way and plugging in @ hi-watt.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:38 PM

You're right & you're welcome.

BTW, anyone wanting to emulate "Keef" and tune to open G, it is
DGDGBD.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Ummagumma!

One question.
Do you now what tuning uses Dave for "breathe" on DSOTM (studio), with the steel guitar?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CHEBAS
One question.
Do you now what tuning uses Dave for "breathe" on DSOTM (studio), with the steel guitar?
He uses the same tuning as with "Great Gig", noted above--
DGDGBE
Old 09-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Ummagumma!

Oh thanks.
I guess he used the same steel guitar. But somewhere i've read that he used a steel pedal too, or something like that. Do u know what is it?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:59 PM

I wasn't aware of his using a pedal steel, but I'm certainly no expert on his equipment.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Careful with that axe
APFFN Administrator

High Hopes and The Great Gig in the Sky lap steel and guitar tuning

I don't play guitar and I know nothing about tuning, but I found the following excerpt from the "Sounds of Silence" David Gilmour interview by Brad Tolinksi, on Guitar World, September 1994, which may be useful for you musicians out there:

Quote:
GW: Why do you a lap steel on songs like "High Hopes" and "Great Gig In The Sky" instead of playing straight slide guitar on your Strat?

DG: I always had a fondness for pedal steels and lap steels. I guess it's because I could never come to grips with standard bottleneck playing.

GW: You have two Fender lap steels on tour with you. How are they tuned?

DG: The one that I use on "High Hopes" is tuned to a first-position E minor chord. The other one, which I use on "Great Gig In The Sky," is tuned like a regular guitar except for the top two strings -- D,G,D,G,B,E. That allows me to form a minor chord on the top three strings and a major chord with all the other strings.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Careful with that axe
APFFN Administrator

Poles Apart and Run Like Hell lap steel and guitar tuning, according to Phil Taylor

I also found the following excerpt from Phil Taylor's "Welcome to the Machines" interview, also by Brad Tolinksi, on Guitar World, September 1994.

Quote:
GW: How many guitars does he use during the course of a performance?

PT: About seven. In addition to his Strats, he uses a Telecaster tuned to a drop-D for "Run Like Hell," two mid-Eighties Gibson J-200 acoustics -- one tuned to standard pitch and the other tuned to D,A,D,G,A,D for "Poles Apart" -- a Chet Atkins electric-acoustic and two lap steels.