1. Hello and welcome to All Pink Floyd Fan Network (or APFFN for short), a wonderful community of souls relishing in the music, history, mystery, and the all around wonderous aura of Pink Floyd.

Please register free to join our community, get rid of advertisement on our pages and participate in our discussions. Registration is quick and even easier if you have a Facebook, Google+ or Twitter account!
  1. Empty Spacer

Empty Spacer APFFN New Member

Does anybody know the name of the movie (or movies) that "Pink" is watching throughout The Wall? I know one has Deborah Kerr and Stewart (or Farley) Grainger. He was also in "North To Alaska" with John Wayne and an absolutely gorgeous french girl named, I think, Cappucine.

2. Evil_Tyrant528

Evil_Tyrant528 APFFN New Member

The movie is called The Dambusters. Oddly enough, the American version is different from the British version, they had to change the name of the dog from Nigger, to Trigger for the US Release of it.

3. Empty Spacer

Empty Spacer APFFN New Member

Thanks

Thanks... er, "Evil Tyrant" sounds so formal. How 'bout I just call you
    " 'rant " ?
    Would that be a prob?

4. Evil_Tyrant528

Evil_Tyrant528 APFFN New Member

Tyrant will work fine, if you like:wink:

5. OBSCUREDbyCOWS

OBSCUREDbyCOWS APFFN New Member

Thats typical of a US version war film

6. wishyouwereher

wishyouwereher APFFN New Member

would you have released a movie with a racial slur as the name of a dog?

7. OBSCUREDbyCOWS

in this case yes as that was what the actual dog was called. The dog plays as small a part as possible in the film and always recieves affection from everybody, so wheres the racism?

8. Not Now John

Not Now John APFFanatic! I support APFFN

What if the daog's name was "Slant-eye"?

9. Madcap Diamond

Madcap Diamond APFFN New Member

What if it were named Spot? ....like thousands of other dogs. It never occured to anybody that it was derogatory to the dog. OR, maybe we're being a little over-sensitive here. Has the liberal media gotten to dog names too? ;)

10. Botley

Botley Hit it, Rog! Former APFFN Mod

I once had a cat named Fuckchop.

11. OBSCUREDbyCOWS

If it was the same situation then there is no difference. I think all this PC crap is getting pretty stupid now, I mean I would in no way endorse racism but at the same time there has to be some common sense.

12. Not Now John

Not Now John APFFanatic! I support APFFN

I think it was changed because the word "nigger" has a negative connotation over here--I don't know if it does over there. I don't believe that was being PC--though if I were in charge, I am not sure that I would have changed it.

13. OBSCUREDbyCOWS

Nigger is a racist term here as well if a non-black man calls a black man it.
    black man calls a black man a nigger and its a term of endearment, respect or whatever but not racist.
    In the case of the dambusters its applied to a dog named nigger, probably because it had black fur. Nobody is calling a black man a nigger, so there is no direct racial abuse, therefore it has to be a PC thing. Something along the lines of we can't have a dog called nigger because somebody will take offence and we will get sued, regardless of the fact that the actual dog was called nigger and IMO its highly unlikely there will be a signinficant number of people offended.
    I realise that statement leaves me open for the arguement whats a significant figure and nobody should have to be caused offence when its avoidable but then IMO thats the stupid thing about Political Correctness.

14. wishyouwereher

wishyouwereher APFFN New Member

every black person in north america wouldve been offended and a huge stink wouldve arose.

15. OBSCUREDbyCOWS

I really can't see why they should be in this case. Its called nigger because its a black dog. The only possible reason I can see for being offended is if the name was meant to mean that all black people are dogs and there is in no way whatsoever any indication that that was the case. It just seems silly that people could be so offended by such a small thing. I agree if the film was not factual then calling a dog nigger could be offensive but that was its name 60 years ago so why does it have to change now?

If anybody here is black and would like to add their point of view to this then I would welcome your opinion as perhaps you would be able to explain to me why it is such a big deal.

Last edited: May 25, 2005