1. Hello and welcome to All Pink Floyd Fan Network (or APFFN for short), a wonderful community of souls relishing in the music, history, mystery, and the all around wonderous aura of Pink Floyd.

Please register free to join our community, get rid of advertisement on our pages and participate in our discussions. Registration is quick and even easier if you have a Facebook, Google+ or Twitter account!
  1. leewall

leewall APFFN New Member

What kind of lap steel guitar is DG playing on slide.Is it an 8string or 6 string and,what has he got it tuned to?Help me Please!!!!

2. ninad

ninad Dont Damn ME !

r u talkin bout the one dave used in high hopes ? oh if its so.. then its hawain guitar.. i guess it too use std tunin.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2003
  3. stratman

stratman FreshPrince of Bill Ayers I support APFFN

Dave plays Jensen lap steels & they are 6 -string. They're fitted with EMG pickups & use "open tunings", of course. The first lap steel is tuned to EBEGBE (E minor) for "One of These Days" and "High Hopes," while the second one is tuned to DGDGBE for "Great Gig in the Sky." Gilmour has said this tuning allows him to form a minor chord on the three strings and a major chord with all the other strings. i.e., he can play either DGDGB which is G major (open) and obviously other major chords up the neck, or GBE which is E minor(open) etc. etc. Clever boy, our Dave. :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  4. leewall

leewall APFFN New Member

thanks for the info

your the man I've been looking for!
    makes sense to me.You can play a lot of stuff in open G(Keith Richards knows this)and of cause E is the relative minor of G.
    Played together I believe(G/Em) it comes out as G6th.E being the 6th note of the G scale.At lest ,that is what I remember in music class.Correct me if I'm full of air.
    Thanks again!!

ps I've got two lap steels(6 and 8 string).I'm tuning the 6 string to DG's way and plugging in @ hi-watt.

5. stratman

You're right & you're welcome. :)

BTW, anyone wanting to emulate "Keef" and tune to open G, it is
    DGDGBD.

6. CHEBAS

CHEBAS APFFN New Member

One question.
    Do you now what tuning uses Dave for "breathe" on DSOTM (studio), with the steel guitar?

7. stratman

He uses the same tuning as with "Great Gig", noted above--
    DGDGBE

8. CHEBAS

CHEBAS APFFN New Member

Oh thanks.
    I guess he used the same steel guitar. But somewhere i've read that he used a steel pedal too, or something like that. Do u know what is it?

9. stratman

I wasn't aware of his using a pedal steel, but I'm certainly no expert on his equipment.

10. The Piper

The Piper Administrator Staff Member Your APFFN host

High Hopes and The Great Gig in the Sky lap steel and guitar tuning

I don't play guitar and I know nothing about tuning, but I found the following excerpt from the "Sounds of Silence" David Gilmour interview by Brad Tolinksi, on Guitar World, September 1994, which may be useful for you musicians out there:

11. The Piper

The Piper Administrator Staff Member Your APFFN host

Poles Apart and Run Like Hell lap steel and guitar tuning, according to Phil Taylor

I also found the following excerpt from Phil Taylor's "Welcome to the Machines" interview, also by Brad Tolinksi, on Guitar World, September 1994.